Tuesday 9 April 2013

SAME PREPOSITION WITH MANY USES


The same preposition may be used in various senses. The uses of at, in, with are given below grouped according to the different meanings or Contexts:

AT
·         Place, Direction
o   He will meet you at the station.
o   The soldiers rushed at the enemy.
o   The hospital is at a distance.
·         Time, Order
o   He will come at 2 o'clock.
o   I left school at (the age of) 16.
o   Sujata succeeded at the third attempt.
o   You must visit him at regular intervals.
·         Activity, Manner
o   I found him at play. ( = while he was playing.)
o   What is she at now? ( = what is she doing?)
o   He is hard at it. ( = working hard)
o   She is good at singing.
o   I will do it at leisure.
o   We will complete it at one sitting.
·         Rate, Degree, Value
o   He ran at full speed.
o   I got it at great cost. I
o   It's now running at a loss.
o   She appeared at her best.
·         Cause
o   I marvelled at his performance.
o   We were delighted at the idea of going to Goa.
IN
·         Place, Direction
o   Kangaroo is found in Australia.
o   He is standing in the corner of the room.
o   I saw a light in the distance.
o   You are sitting in an armchair. (Compare - on a chair without  arms.)
o   He was wounded in the leg.
o   Vishavdeep has gone in that direction.
·         Motion
o   He dipped his pen in ink.
o   I have cut the apple in two. ( = into halves)
o   They fell in love.
·         Time
o   in the 19th century, in 1947, in spring, in his old age, in the morning/afternoon/evening/day time (compare - at night), in the end, in my time. She was a beauty in her day (during her best years), in the reign of the Mughals.
·         Within a Space of Time
o   I will do it in a moment.
o   He can finish this work in an hour.
o   I shall be back in a week's time.
·         Inclusion
o   He has in him the making of a good leader.
o   He is a man in his twenties. (between 20 and 29)
·         Of dress
o   He is a prince in disguise.
o   The boy is in his shirt sleeves. (not wearing a coat)
o   Look at the girl in white. (wearing white clothes)
·         Physical Surrounding
o   Don’t go out in the rain.
o   I like to sleep in the open.
o   He lost his way in the dark.
o   It s difficult to work in this heat.
·         Relation, Reference
o   He is a good man in every way.
o   She is deficient in courage.
o   Basu is blind in the left eye.
·         Occupation
o   He is in the army/navy/air force/business.
o   I spent a lot of time in reading.

WITH
o   Possession
§  Here is a book with yellow pages.
§  I saw her with angry looks in her eyes.
o   For Filling
§  The sack was filled with cement.
§  The hills were covered with snow.
§  Fill the box with books.
o   Means, Instrument
§  He writes with a costly pen.
§  I did the work with your help.
§  I have seen it with my own eyes.
o   Accompaniment, Relationship
§  I live with my parents.
§  He will be going to the city with me.
§  The inspector with his staff will come here.
o   Opposition
§  Unnecessarily he fought with me.
§  Cause He was trembling with (because of, owing to) fear/rage.
o   Manner
§  He did the work with his whole heart.
§  They welcomed the guests with open arms.
o   Care, Responsibility
§  The decision rests with you.
§  I am leaving the child with you. (under your care)
o   In Regard to
§  We sympathized with her for what happened.
§  What do you want with me?
§  Smoking is a habit with many people.
o   Agreement,Harmony
§  I am with you on this point.
§  Does this tie go well with this coat?
o   In Spite Of
§  With all her best efforts she could not succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment